After missing the middleweight mark of 185 pounds by 12 pounds at the weigh ins earlier this week and following his first round submission loss to Vitor Belfort at “UFC 142: Aldo vs. Mendes”, UFC president Dana White has confirmed Anthony “Rumble” Johnson has been released from the organization.
John Morgan of MMAJunkie got the full story, including quotes from the UFC president.
“This is his third time,” White said of Johnson’s failure to make weight for the third time in his career. “Three strikes and you’re gone.”
“I knew what the decision was when I talked to you on Friday,” White told MMAjunkie.com. “This is his third time. Listen, the guy was having problems making 170 pounds. He wanted to stay at 170 or whatever his deal was. You go to 185, and you blow it as bad as he blew it? That’s bad man.”
“I don’t dislike the guy,” White. “I like him very much actually. When you talk to Anthony Johnson, he’s a good guy.
“I don’t know who you blame in this one. Do you blame him? Do you blame his team? Do you blame his camp? I mean who takes the blame in this one? Ultimately, you’re a grown man. You’re responsible for your own actions.”
Johnson’s release from the promotion comes after a 11-fight teneur from June 12, 2007 – January 14, 2011 which he amassed a 7-4 record.