For the fourth consecutive week, the UFC held an event as UFC 153: Silva vs. Bonnar took place last Saturday night at the HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
The organization’s eleventh pay-per-view event of the year featured a number of exciting bouts and saw Anderson Silva defeat Stephan Bonnar in the main event. Seven of the 12 bouts on the card were finished inside the distance with Jon Fitch, Erick Silva, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Rony “Jason” Mariano Bezerra earning $70,000 post-fight bonuses.
As usual with all UFC events there was plenty of news in the lead-up and fallout that have mixed martial arts fans talking.
If you have been living under a rock and happened to miss any of them, here are the top headlines from October 8th – October 14th.
- UFC 153: Silva vs. Bonnar went down last Saturday night from HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Anderson Silva defeated Stephan Bonnar by TKO in the headliner. Other main card winners included Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Glover Teixiera, Jon Fitch, Phil Davis and Demian Maia. Click the link for complete UFC 153: Silva vs. Bonnar Event Results.
- To hear from most of the UFC 153 winners, watch the UFC 153: Silva vs. Bonnar Post-Fight Interviews.
- The Strikeforce organization canceled an event for the second time in three weeks, citing numerous injuries to fighters on the card as the reason. The event was scheduled for Nov. 3 in Oklahoma City and was to be headlined by Heavyweight Grand Prix champion Daniel Cormier.
- UFC middleweight Jake Shields announced he tested positive for a banned substance following his UFC 150 win over Ed Herman and as a result was suspended 6-months by the Colorado Boxing Commission.
- Former UFC light heavyweight champion Quinton “Rampage” Jackson requested to fight Glover Teixeira following the Brazilian’s win at UFC 153, UFC president Dana White obliged to Jackson’s request.
- UFC President Dana White will undergo surgery for meniere’s disease in the next two weeks.
- Following a win over Brian Stann at UFC 152, Michael Bisping said he doesn’t believe he will get a title shot in his next fight.
- Episode five of “The Ultimate Fighter 16” aired Friday night on FX. Team Carwin’s Igor Araujo defeated Team Nelson’s Nic Herron-Webb in the fourth welterweight elimination fight of the season to give Team Carwin a three to one lead in the competition. For complete results from episode 5 of “TUF: 16”, click here.
- As usual, ZUFFA officials unveiled a slew of fight announcements for future events over the past week. For the latest on all upcoming UFC and Strikeforce cards, check the rumors section.
This article was written by Mike Bohn, founder and lead writer of FightCove.com. You can follow Mike on Twitter at @MikeBohnMMA. Also, be sure to follow @FightCove on Twitter and “Like” Fight Cove on Facebook.