Although the Ultimate Fighting Champion (UFC) nor Strikeforce held events over the past week, there’s been no shortage of news to keep mixed martial arts fans talking as the last six days have provided a number of newsworthy stories.
If you have been living under a rock and happened to miss any of them, here are the top headlines from July 23rd – July 29th.
- Former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir will move over to the Strikeforce organization for one fight to face off against Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix winner Daniel Cormier at an undermined event in late 2012.
- Cesar Gracie, head coach of Nick Diaz, released a statement announcing the former Strikeforce welterweight champion will not stay retired and wants to fight UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva when his one-year suspension from the Nevada State Athletic Commission is up.
- After losing to Anderson Silva for the second time at UFC 148, UFC president Dana White said Chael Sonnen has “a lot of options” going forward is his career.
- The UFC 152: Benavidez vs. Johnson ticket sale press conference went down on Monday in Toronto and there were a number of memorable quotes from the five fighters in attendance. Watch a video archive of the press conference here.
- UFC on FOX 4 headlined Mauricio “Shogun” Rua jumped out of a plane in Brazil, and it was all caught on camera.
- Middleweight contenders Vitor Belfort and Alan Belcher have signed to fight each other at UFC 153 in Rio de Janiero, Brazil.
- On Oct. 5, UFC on FX 5 is set to be headlined by a heavyweight bout between Travis Browne and Antonio Silva.
- As usual, ZUFFA officials unveiled a slew of fight announcements for future events over the past week. For the latest on all upcoming UFC and Strikeforce cards, check the rumors section.