Although the Ultimate Fighting Champion (UFC) nor Strikeforce held events over the past week, there has been no shortage of news to keep mixed martial arts fans talking after the fallout of the cancellation of UFC 151, which was scheduled to take place Sept. 1 in Las Vegas.
If you have been living under a rock and happened to miss any of them, here are the top headlines from September 3rd – September 9th.
- UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones explained at length his decision not to fight at UFC 151.
- An 30-minute Dana White interview aired on FUEL TV. In the interview, the UFC President stated he holds no ill will towards UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones for the cancellation of UFC 151.
- White also said in the FUEL TV interview that with a win over Carlos Condit at UFC 154, Georges St-Pierre could face Anderson Silva in a catchweight superfight.
- UFC on FX 6 was announced to take place in Queensland, Australia on Dec. 14. A middleweight bout between Hector Lombard and Rousimar Palhares headlines the event.
- A middleweight bout between Chris Weidman and Tim Boetsch will take place at UFC 155 on Dec. 29.
- The UFC revealed the cast of 16 fighters set to compete on “The Ultimate Fighter: Australia vs. UK”.
- Daniel Cormier vs. Frank Mir and Luke Rockhold vs. Lorenz Larkin are the headlining bouts for a Nov. 3 Strikeforce show set to take place in Oklahoma City.
- Rolling Stone magazine named Strikeforce woman’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey as the best female fighter of all time.
- UFC heavyweight Christian Morecraft was arrested and charged with Operating Under the Influence (OUI) in Barnstable, Mass.
- As usual, ZUFFA officials unveiled a slew of fight announcements for future events over the past week. For the latest on all upcoming UFC and Strikeforce cards, check the rumors section.
This article was written by Mike Bohn, founder and lead writer of FightCove.com. You can follow Mike on Twitter at @FightCoveMike. Also, be sure to follow @FightCove on Twitter and “Like” Fight Cove on Facebook.