Although the Ultimate Fighting Champion nor Strikeforce held events over the past week, there’s been no shortage of news to keep mixed martial arts fans talking as the last seven days have provided a number of newsworthy stories.
If you have been living under a rock and happened to miss any of them, here are the top headlines from June 11th – June 17th.
- Strikeforce light heavyweight Rafael “Feijao” Cavalcante tested positive for banned substances following his May 19. Cavalcante has been suspended one-year and fined $2,500 by the California State Athletic Commission.
- Stefan Struve vs. Stipe Miocic will serve as the main event of UFC on FUEL TV 5 on Sept. 29.
- UFC president Dana White announced that they will discontinue the live format of the “The Ultimate Fighter” reality show in favor of returning to the taped format of the show.
- Following his victory over Ian McCall at UFC on FX 3, Demetrious Johnson will undergo surgery to repair a hernia.
- Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira was the latest fighter to withdraw from the UFC 149 fight card. Shawn Jordan will now fight Cheick Kongo at the July 21 event.
- Episode thirteen of “The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil” aired Sunday night on UFC.com. Cezar “Mutante” Ferreira defeated Thiago Bodao in the second middleweight semifinal of the season. For complete results from Sunday’s episode, check out “The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil” Episode 13 Quick Results.
- Daniel Sarafian is injured and will be unable to compete at UFC 147. As a replacement, Sergio Moraes will now face Cezar “Mutante” Ferreira in the middleweight tournament final.
- As usual, ZUFFA officials unveiled a slew of fight announcements for future events over the past week. For the latest on all upcoming UFC and Strikeforce cards, check the rumors section.