Although the Ultimate Fighting Champion (UFC) nor Strikeforce held events over the past week, there has been no shortage of news to keep mixed martial arts fans talking as the last six days were perhaps the most newsworthy in the history of the sport.
If you have been living under a rock and happened to miss any of them, here are the top headlines from August 20th – August 26th.
- UFC 151: Jones vs. Henderson, scheduled for Sept. 1 in Las Vegas, was canceled nine days before the event after Dan Henderson suffered a knee injury and the organization could not find a replacement bout to headline the card.
- UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones turned down a fight with Chael Sonnen as a replacement for the UFC 151 main event.
- UFC President Dana White placed the blame for the cancellation of UFC 151 on UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones.
- Jon Jones issued a Twitter apology for his role in the cancellation of UFC 151.
- Jon Jones was moved to the UFC 152 fight card on Sept. 22 and will fight Vitor Belfort in the main event.
- Lyoto Machida was offered the title fight against Jon Jones at UFC 152, but declined the opportunity citing a lack of preparation time.
- KeyArena in Seattle, Washington, will host the UFC on FOX 5 fight card on Dec. 8.
- Gray Maynard is scheduled to face Joe Lauzon in a lightweight bout at UFC 152.
- The father of UFC middleweight Wanderlei Silva was killed in a car crash in Brazil on Sunday.
- As usual, ZUFFA officials unveiled a slew of fight announcements for future events over the past week. For the latest on all upcoming UFC and Strikeforce cards, check the rumors section.
This article was written by Mike Bohn, founder and lead writer of FightCove.com. You can follow Mike on Twitter at @FightCoveMike. Also, be sure to follow @FightCove on Twitter and “Like” Fight Cove on Facebook.