For the first time in nearly two months, the Ultimate Fighting Championship hosted a pay-per-view event as “UFC 145: Jones vs. Evans” went down in Atlanta, Georgia. As usual with any UFC fight week, there was plenty of news going into and coming out of the event that has mixed martial arts fans talking.
If you have been living under a rock and happened to miss any of them, here are the top headlines from April 16th – April 22nd.
- “UFC 145: Jones vs. Evans” went down last Saturday night from the Philips Arena in Atlanta, Georgia. Jon “Bones” Jones successfully defended his light heavyweight championship by unanimous decision in the main event. Other main card winners included Rory MacDonald, Ben Rothwell, Michael McDonald and Mark Bocek. Click the link for complete “UFC 145: Jones vs. Evans” Event Results.
- To hear from the all of the UFC 145 winners, watch the “UFC 145: Evans vs. Jones” Post-Fight Interviews.
- After UFC 145, UFC president Dana White confirmed Dan Henderson be the next man to challenge Jon Jones for the UFC light heavyweight championship.
- Alistair Overeem is officially out of his fight against Junior dos Santos for the UFC heavyweight title at UFC 146. Frank Mir replaces Overeem and will now challenge dos Santos for the title at the May 26 event.
- With Mir moving up the card to face dos Santos, Antonio Silva steps in to face Mir’s former opponent Cain Velasquez in the UFC 146 co-main event.
- The highly anticipated rematch between middleweight champion Anderson Silva and Chael Sonnen scheduled for UFC 147 in Brazil is in danger of being rescheduled for UFC 148 due to a timing conflict with a United Nations conference in Rio de Janiero.
- Speaking of Sonnen, the middleweight number one contender was in Atlanta for UFC 145 and hosted a Q&A session with UFC Fight Club members.
- Episode 7 of “The Ultimate Fighter: Live” saw Team Cruz even the competition at three wins for each team when Vince Pichel submitted John Cofer with an arm-triangle choke in the third round. For complete results from last Friday’s episode, check out The Ultimate Fighter: Live Episode 7 Quick Results.
- Sam Sicilia of Team Cruz fights Chris Saunders of Team Faber on episode seven of “The Ultimate Fighter: Live” this Friday night at 10pm PT/7pm ET on FX.
- Episode five of “The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil” aired Sunday night on UFC.com. Cezar “Mutante” Ferreira defeated Leonardo “Macarro” Mafra Teixeira in the second middleweight fight of the season to give Team Belfort a four to nothing lead in the competition. For complete results from Sunday’s episode, check out “The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil” Episode 5 Quick Results.
- As usual, ZUFFA officials unveiled a slew of fight announcements for future events over the past week. For the latest on all upcoming UFC and Strikeforce cards, check the rumors section.